To continue expanding our authorized set of digital tools for instruction, HCPSS has curated a new set of supplemental digital tools that are available only through Google's menu of additional services. HCPSS is committed to leveraging technology in ways that ensure all students have access and opportunity to communicate, collaborate, create, and innovate safely and responsibly anywhere, anytime in support of learning. These supplemental digital tools are approved by HCPSS and comply with federal, state, and Howard County Board of Education student data privacy policies. Due to Google's settings, students must access this set of tools by utilizing Google's menu of additional services, which requires consent from a parent or guardian.
To provide consent: Log in to HCPSS Connect.
- Select More Options from the left panel.
- Select HCPSS Google Menu from the middle of the page.
- Click the check box to provide consent. Changes are saved automatically.
- A parent or guardian must provide consent for each student by selecting the student's name at the top of the page.
The digital tools currently included are:
YouTube for grades 6-12- This additional service or authorized Supplementary Digital Tool may show non-targeted ads to your child and may use collected information to provide, maintain, and develop new Additional Services. To view the terms of service for these Additional Services, please visit https://gsuite.google.com/terms/additional_services.html. To read Google's answers to frequently asked questions about student data privacy and security, please visit https://edu.google.com/why-google/privacy-security.
- Note: If consent is not provided, students will still be able to watch embedded YouTube videos embedded in teacher resources on Canvas. Your consent is only for direct access to YouTube's website.
After a parent/guardian provides consent:
There may be a delay of up to three days before the apps appear in the Google menu and some tools may automatically appear on the Chromebook once consent is provided by a parent or guardian without the need to install them.
- If your child has not been issued a Chromebook, please make the request following the information found online.
- HCPSS cannot guarantee that apps are available on devices other than HCPSS Chromebooks.
- Teachers may or may not choose to use any or all of these apps during instruction. Students will be notified when a particular app will be used for instruction.
- If you do not provide consent for your student's access to these digital tools, your student's teacher will provide alternative enrichment activities.
- In addition to these Google tools, HCPSS has approved a robust set of supplemental digital tools. Your child's teacher will notify you of the particular supplemental digital tools being used in each class via email or on their Canvas course page.
Please contact Ms.Tipton and Ms.Lee our Media Specialists, for more information.